While this website focuses on career and life fulfillment in Switzerland, there are many other highly recommended websites that can help expats get acquainted with their new life in Switzerland. A few key resources are listed below.
All of Switzerland
- Hello Switzerland: A great resource guide for relocating to and living in Switzerland. Offers all the inspiration and information Switzerland’s international community of expats needs. Relocate with confidence and make the best of Switzerland.
- Zurich Stadt: Integration Courses, German courses, advice on integration. 12-week courses available twice annually.
- Living in Zurich: (American Women’s Club Zurich but open to men and women): The LIZ Program is offered in English to men and women of all nationalities. It’s a great opportunity for you to meet other expatriates! Anyone can attend! We bring the experts to you! Representatives from the police department, tourist office, banks, insurance companies, postal service, public transportation department and more will be on hand to answer your questions about living in Zurich.
- My Girlfriend Guide to Zurich: A resource site that lists the latest events, hosts fun events and and has a directory of select places to eat, shop, workout, travel and more.
- International Link (Vaud): Provides various services and events in English to help foreign employees better integrate into the local economic, cultural and social environment of Vaud region.
- Know-It-All Passport (Geneva/Vaud and surrounding areas): Website based on the English-language guide that is the reference book for anything you want to know from shopping, housing and education to where to hold a birthday party, places to eat, night life, all about chocolate, and local information! It includes information on winter activities, where to go for public transport and much more.
- Guide2Geneva: The complete source of information in English about Geneva and the surrounding area. Guide2Geneva provides assistance on Property Listings, Accommodation Listings, Events, Regional news & information, Classified Listings, a Business Directory and more.
Great Books To Read
- Swiss Watching: Inside the Land of Milk and Money by Diccon Bewes. Swiss Watching is a fascinating journey around Europe’s most individual and misunderstood country. From seeking Heidi and finding the best chocolate to reliving a bloody past and exploring an uncertain future, Diccon Bewes proves that there s more to Switzerland than banks and skis, francs and cheese. This book dispels the myths and unravels the true meaning of Swissness.
- Why Switzerland? By Jonathan Steinberg. Switzerland is a special and fascinating place. Its unique institutions, its direct democracy, multi-member executives, absence of strikes, communal autonomy, its universal military service, its wealth, and four national languages make it interesting in itself. But it has wider significance, in representing the ‘Europe that did not happen’, the Europe that escaped the centralisation of state and economy associated with the modern world.
- Living and Working in Switzerland by David Hampshire. The best-selling and most comprehensive book available about daily life – and is essential reading for newcomers. What’s it really like Living and Working in Switzerland? Not surprisingly, there’s a lot more to it than cuckoo clocks, skiing and yodelling! This book is guaranteed to make your life in Switzerland easier and more enjoyable, irrespective of whether you’re planning to stay for a few months or indefinitely. Adjusting to day-to day-life in Switzerland just got a whole lot simpler!
- Culture Smart! Switzerland by Kendall Maycock. Culture Smart! provides essential information on attitudes, beliefs and behavior in different countries, ensuring that you arrive at your destination aware of basic manners, common courtesies, and sensitive issues. These concise guides tell you what to expect, how to behave, and how to establish a rapport with your hosts. This inside knowledge will enable you to steer clear of embarrassing gaffes and mistakes, feel confident in unfamiliar situations, and develop trust, friendships, and successful business relationships.