Continuing Your Education
While you may not be looking to go back to school and earn a degree or certificate (or maybe you just don’t like the idea of being graded and having homework again!), there are plenty of opportunities for you to find excellent educational resources where you can keep learning for FREE or minimal cost.
- EdX: Take free online classes from Harvard, MIT, and Berkley! EdX is a not-for-profit enterprise of its founding partners Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology that features learning designed specifically for interactive study via the web. Based on a long history of collaboration and their shared educational missions, the founders are creating a new online-learning experience with online courses that reflect their disciplinary breadth. Along with offering online courses, the institutions will use edX to research how students learn and how technology can transform learning–both on-campus and worldwide.
- Coursera: We are a social entrepreneurship company that partners with the top universities in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free. We envision a future where the top universities are educating not only thousands of students, but millions. Our technology enables the best professors to teach tens or hundreds of thousands of students.
- Udacity: Udacity is a totally new kind of learning experience. You learn by solving challenging problems and pursuing udacious projects with world-renowned university instructors (not by watching long, boring lectures). At Udacity, we put you, the student, at the center of the universe.
- Khan Academy: The Khan Academy is a not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education for anyone anywhere. All of the site’s resources are available to anyone. It doesn’t matter if you are a student, teacher, home-schooler, principal, adult returning to the classroom after 20 years, or a friendly alien just trying to get a leg up in earthly biology. The Khan Academy’s materials and resources are available to you completely free of charge.
- Class2Go: We’re Stanford Online’s internal platform, designed to be an open platform for online learning and research.
- Open Yale Courses: provides free and open access to a selection of introductory courses taught by distinguished teachers and scholars at Yale University. The aim of the project is to expand access to educational materials for all who wish to learn.
- iTunes U: iTunes U is a free service hosted by Apple that allows instructors, administrators, and affiliates to manage, distribute, and control access to educational audio and video content for students within a college or university. Check out schools like Stanford for free online courses.
- Code Academy: Ever wanted to learn how to write computer code, for free? Choose from a variety of programming languages (like Java and Ruby) and tools to make dynamic websites or even write your own app.
Earning Another Degree or Certificate
You may be hundreds or even thousands of miles away from home, but have you considered that you could still earn a University degree from home while living in Switzerland? Or, why earn a degree from another country altogether?