Take a look at these global charities to see how you can get involved globally (and locally) in the world community.
- United Nations Online Volunteering: Variety of Skills Needed. Everyone can make a difference. Share your skills, knowledge and ideas – from a computer anywhere in the world. Hundreds of opportunities are available.
- Amnesty International: Chapter Members and Fundraisers Needed. Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 3 million supporters, members and activists in more than 150 countries and territories who campaign to end grave abuses of human rights.Our vision is for every person to enjoy all the rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights standards. We are independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion and are funded mainly by our membership and public donations.There are three English-speaking groups in Switzerland: in Geneva, Basel and Zurich.
- Rote Kreuz (Red Cross)*: Variety of Skills Needed. (German Sometimes Required)
- Room To Read (Zurich Chapter): Chapter Members and Fundraisers Needed. They envision a world in which all children can pursue a quality education, reach their full potential and contribute to their community and the world. They work in collaboration with communities and local governments across Asia and Africa to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the life skills they’ll need to succeed in school and beyond.
- Rote Kreuz (Red Cross) Kanton Zurich*: They are searching for English-speaking volunteers who would like to get involved in fundraising activities within the international community of Zurich.
Special Note: If you see an organization above with a *, it means it’s certified by the The Swiss Social Work Certificate, a tool to recognize the hard work of the volunteering you’ve done. This is great if you’re looking to fill time while searching for a job!